Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Parts of Speech

. . . The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch. (Acts 11:26b, NIV)
"So what do you do?" She's counting heads, I can tell. One of the kids smile at her, then holds up seven fingers.
"I'm a mom, pretty much."
"She's a writer. She works on the 'puter." He is so proud. Snaggle-tooth proud.
Writing rules I read somewhere wash over me. Show don't tell. Resist the urge to explain. Never use flashbacks. They don't work well in my fiction, but come in handy in real life. Unfortunately, I chose to forgo them this time.
"I'm a Christian writer." Now she's figuring birthdays, but the twins are stumping her. Just like my answer.
She puts down her fingers. "A Christian writer? You translate the Bible? Like one of those missionfairies?"
My eyes bulge. "Not exactly. I write stories about Christians." Is that right? Not exactly. Why did I leave the house today? "I write stories for Christians?" It comes out a question and rightly so. That isn't it either. "I'm a Christian who writes books." My head hurts. That's as close as I can come today.
"Mom, did she say mission FAIRIES?"
"Shhh."
She doesn't move away. She moves closer. Please God, don't let a Happy Meal box fall out of the van. No, just a shoe. I'm feeling sick. She doesn't seem to notice. "Stories about Christians? Like in the Sunday School paper?"
"There's a french fry in my carseat. It's sticking me in my butt, Mommy! In. My. BUTT!"
My lip is trembling. "It's okay, honey. We're going. Just hand it here." Why, oh why did I think we needed milk? We didn't. We really didn't. I give her my best smile. Where where we? Sunday school papers. "I do some of that sometimes. Articles, essays, stuff like that." The ice cream is melting.
"No, lady. She makes up kissy stories. They do bad stuff and kiss Jesus and get married."
Is this a nightmare?
Her eyes look like headlights in a hurricane. "Kissy stories?" She pulls her smock tighter around her sides, giving me the I-knew-it face.
Why do I always want to laugh at times like this? "Well, um, I write some of those too. I just do whatever. All kinds of things. Whatever God gives me." Now we're getting closer. But she's moving father away.
"Mommy, I'm melting. It's sooooooo hot. Does she have a 'puter? Can't you e-mail her later?"
This is sad. So very sad. "Thanks M'am. For all your help."
She takes the cart with a snort. "Christian writer, my foot. Anybody that's got to call themself something probably ain't that something. Bring me the book, I'll see for myself."
"Will do."
When the first book drops, I will take her one and a thank you note, for making me remember that Christian isn't just a modifier. When did "Christian" move from a compassionate noun to a lazy adjective in my vocabulary? I don't know. I am a Christian writer. It's all I know how to be. My very pulse is tied to Him. But if that's true, shouldn't somebody else know it besides me?
Edit my life, Jesus. Make love a verb again. Draw the word 'Christian' from a mouth other than my own. May my feeble words be manna to the drifting, balm for the hurting and hope for those on both sides of the walls. Love on me, Jesus. Love on me hard.
Faith Fragments
My belief hangs like a dangling participle in the sentence that is Yours. "Jesus is Lord," I whisper to the stranger before he can tell me his troubles, show me his pain, making me thirty feet late for church.
I'm already late. They already think I'm crazy. I don't have time to pray for those red rings rimming her eyes. "God bless you," is easier. We've got to go. The fries are getting cold. My heart is, too.
Here I am, a flickering flame, held high with other sputtering lanterns. We run, smoldering beacons raised on a road to nowhere, while the world plunges past, diving into a burning chasm.
"God has a wonderful plan for your life," we whisper as the road runs out beneath them, dropping them into the blaze.
We shrug, keep moving, thankful to be on the right path, in the right direction. "At least it wasn't me."
But it would have been. If somebody hadn't moved the cross from a place to a person, risked all to make love a truth instead of a lie, it would have been me. I smelled the smoke, heard the crackle of burning flesh--
And then, somebody snatched me. I didn't bother to ask her name. I knew who she was, and not because of a bracelet or a bumper sticker. As she stop-drop-and-rolled me away from hell, there was no confusion about who she was.
A Christian.

7 comments:

michael snyder said...

Powerful stuff. And funny too. I like your style. So look over your cyber-shoulder cuz I'll be checking on you (well, okay, checking on your blog).

upwords said...

Michael,

Thanks for stopping by. :) Glad you enjoyed it. Brace yourself though, it's not always funny. In fact, it can get down right sad up in here. LOL

Blessings : Mary

michael snyder said...

Thanks for the warning.

Signed,

sufficiently braced

Anonymous said...

When I grow up I want to be a missionfairie and kiss Jesus and get married. Hopefully, to Jesus.

Loved it.

upwords said...

When I grow up I want to be a missionfairie and kiss Jesus and get married. Hopefully, to Jesus.

Raga,
Every word you write kisses Him smack on the mouth. :) I think you've got the other two covered as well.

Peace,
Mary

jim said...

Hey,

Your writing is beautiful. You're one of those rare people who makes me proud of the church.

Still - and I know it's the effect intended - the whole "resist the urge to explain" angle leaves me hopelessly curious... who is this woman and what is the context of the exchange? where? what? why?

As for parts of speech it's strange, I was thinking a similar thing today only going the other way. That I disliked the noun "Christian" - something to be bragged about and owned - and instead thought I'd favour the adjective "christian" - as in christian charity, christian kindnesses.

I hoped to focus more on actions than an identity or lifestyle that can be aquired and rested on. Will have to think about it more. Compassionate noun and lazy adjective?

And I'll be back, you can be sure of that.

jim

Sydney, Australia.
Spring (YAY!) 2004

upwords said...

Jim,

Thank you so much for coming, for reading. That someone outside of my shores would read my words is very humbling and I'm sure for you, confusing. LOL

Still - and I know it's the effect intended - the whole "resist the urge to explain" angle leaves me hopelessly curious... who is this woman and what is the context of the exchange? where? what? why?

Jim,
Good questions. I don't really have answers. That post is not one point in time exactly, but rather a word collage of a lot of experiences, conversations. Questions. Sorry to be so ambiguous. :)

As for parts of speech it's strange, I was thinking a similar thing today only going the other way. That I disliked the noun "Christian" - something to be bragged about and owned - and instead thought I'd favour the adjective "christian" - as in christian charity, christian kindnesses.

Ah, this is true. I think my focus was that I shouldn't need to call my kindness or charity by any name, but rather at the receipt of it, others would see Jesus and call it "Christian."

I hoped to focus more on actions than an identity or lifestyle that can be aquired and rested on. Will have to think about it more. Compassionate noun and lazy adjective?

Perhaps DCTalk (an American Christian band that I used to listen to) sums it up best with the title to one of their old songs, "Love is a verb." God is love. To love is of God. As long the love is true and honest, perhaps the other parts of speech will come together on their own.

Greetings to you and yours down under,
Mary