Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Ever Green

He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." (Jeremiah 17:8, NIV)

Turn Me to My Yellow Leaves
By William Stanley Braithwaite
TURN me to my yellow leaves,

I am better satisfied;

There is something in me grieves—

That was never born, and died.

Let me be a scarlet flame
5
On a windy autumn morn,

I who never had a name,

Nor from breathing image born.

From the margin let me fall

Where the farthest stars sink down,
10
And the void consumes me,—all

In nothingness to drown.

Let me dream my dream entire,

Withered as an autumn leaf—

Let me have my vain desire,
15
Vain—as it is brief.
--The Book of American Negro Poetry. 1922.
How I long to be evergreen, staunch and determined, instead of curling in on myself, a yellowed, crunchy leaf. Though I haven't felt the wind of an Ohio fall in so many years, the cool blows through me still. It seems all my seeds, my never born, or born and gone, came to me in autumn, drew my knees up in the wake of winter. This year is no different. In spite of my favorite lipstick and and the sweet drape of my best scarf, I feel the chill, the crunchy biting soul-cold, threatening my bonefire. If not for His hands cupped 'round my small flame, for His lush grace like a carpet between my feet, I would blow away, barren of word and prayer.
Thank God He is ever green.
I am no such thing and once was so much worse. Saturday was the Day of Atonmenent. I didn't realize it until evening that I'd missed the whole Rosh Hoshannah hush. I'm not Jewish (just grafted in), but I seem to ebb and flow in tune with the their calendar. Especially in Fall, when yesterdays rush up around my eyes, filling my head with wide-eyed women twisting their wedding rings, and girls in tennis bracelets holding hands with their laughing fathers. And me, alone. Always alone. They'd drop me off, pick me up, but never stay. Not my friends, not my boyfriends, not my mother. Though it wasn't really "wrong", nobody wanted to bloody their hands or watch me cry, see me make for the door and come back, beg God for another chance even though there weren't any more. Watched me glisten auburn, copper, gold...and then curl up dried. Empty.
Next month, my Jewell, the one who started it all will be 20. I pray for her always, hope she's wise and good, godly and strong. Pray that if I met her this side of heaven she won't be ashamed. And the others? I see them in my dreams, long and luscious with Black-eyed Susan eyes. They smile and wave, knowing that I can take that now, that inspite of my thin-veined heart and yellowed pain, I can wave back. Smile.
I can't do it really, but He can. For He is always strong.
Ever green.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW. Can I just say, You were born for such a time a this? You were put here to inspire me, encourage me, lift me up, to push me, and so many things that I am sure I will never be able to explain to you or to myself for that matter. But the Lord knows. Thank you for allowing yourself to be the person that God made you to be.
Yes I know you weren't just put here for me, not with that awesome writing talent the Lord gave you. Yes your are meant to write books. But oh so much more. You push the rest of us to be better writers, but even more important to be who God made us be. The freedom to be true children of the King.
Meeting you in Denver was a true blessing, reading your blog even more so.
Thank you.
Heather Tipton

upwords said...

Heather,

Meeting YOU was a blessing. Truly. I met so many amazing new writers that weekend. (Ha! I'm a new writer myself) Still, I saw a glimpse of what God is doing and it was good. Now if I can just let him do the same in me.

If something in "Ever Green" encouraged you, I'm thankful. It sort of just gushed out without me getting it until it was almost done. Thanks so much for visiting. :)

Blessings,
Mary

Anonymous said...

I think about my flowers in heaven, (and those on the earth, too). They're okay. God knows what and who is important to us, and they are even more so to Him. He loves them, and their round brown eyes, and wide smiles.

He loves you, too. He wants you to release it. He never runs out of grace. We run out of mind to conceive it.

Flower in his hands. May the latter rain pour on you and out of you, making way for green, and the spring time of your soul.

upwords said...

Funny you would mention rain. I've got a thought on that, might blog on it later today. Suffice it to say, my face is upturned. But don't worry, Sis. I'm good. :) Some days I just get crunchy around the edges, you know?

Mary

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mary... I'm sitting here, in the rain, my head throbbing as it always does when the weather changes, being my whiney self saying, "why me?" I, too, wish I could be ever green, accepting the changes of the seasons as is God's plan, but instead, I fight them, whine when the sun isn't shining, moan at the changes in my body. Hmmm... it's almost a contradiction, being ever green when surrounded by so many deciduous trees. Both are a part of the seasons of life, and yet it is the evergreen that remains strong no matter what season. Though I suppose there is also a strength in the deciduous, knowing when to bloom, and when to shed its leaves. And yet, in this passage, it suggests that even the deciduous can be ever green.

Trying to wrap my brain around that one, but with as much as the head is hurting today, I think the best I can do is to put it up there in the gray matter, let it ferment, and see what God wants to do with it.

Thank you for sharing such an interesting concept. As much as my head is protesting any thinking today, it's definitely a lovely thought to think about on this decidedly dreary day.

Danica aka Dream

upwords said...

Hey Dream!

Thanks for your words. :) It was great to meet you in Denver. That baby is too cute. Made me miss my crew.

Thanks for stopping by,
Mary