Monday, September 06, 2004

A New Thing

See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. (Isaiah 43:19, NIV)
Dang.
That was quick, huh? So much for my solemn quietness. I got alone, preparing for the months of monastic silence and--I know this sounds really televangelistic, but bear with me--God laughed at me.
For real.
A deep down belly laugh, a rumbling of love, followed by, um, was that giggling? He came to me like a blanket, like a kiss and in that moment I saw it. The same thing as always. Fear. Escape. Though I'm leaving behind religion for relationship, I still crave it's corrals, safe nooks of do's and don'ts. Being here makes me feel uncertain, makes me remember what I was, what I still can be.
Beautiful.
Free.
Honest.
Unfortunately, I know these things by other names now. "Inappropriate." "Out of control." "Blunt." My wild praising, crying, writing ways have never been accepted by church people and in a last ditch effort to be good, I rejected them, too, curling my nostrils at others who dared be the woman I'd been.
They're going to put her out, I'd think and turn my head, praying that she would not be broken. Not me, I said. I didn't do such things.
But I did.
I do.
At home with my children, I twirl and dance, scream and wail, play purple tambourines and sing off key. Loud. One of my children has acquired the habit. While the rest of the youth remains silent or whispers softly, coolness in tact, she throws back her head, shouts from her heart and thinks them odd for not doing the same. I envy her that. The not knowing. I pray she won't ever know.
But there, under the rumble of God's sweet laughter, his chuckling at my great concerns, I remembered that I am just a storyteller, and that even I have a story. In these years of stuffing, varnishing, filing smooth, I have not dared examine any of it. His light was too bright and besides, there was no time. No room. Fellowship takes time, trust, suffering, love. Little of that can be found in narrow church hallways or packed parking lots. And so I wrote. It was silent, safe, and consuming. I learned quickly that my kind of fire wasn't wanted, but perhaps something in the smolder had value, had power.
But here is not that way. Here is the whole red-hot stinking thing. The me I once was, the me that heard grace pounding away and flocked to it, taking someone by the hand. "Hear that?" I'd say. "Girl, forget it. All of it. He loves us. It's all good."
For so long though, I've been dancing alone, whispering to the skeletons of dandelions, swaying to the hush. It was so quiet that I didn't hear the scream ripping through me, until it ripped through the blogosphere. Even then, I only let the tip of it sound, though I so sought the roars of others.
And so, it seems that there will be none of that convenient Jesus-doesn't-like-this running. My girls (the ones in my head) are done fighting and have decided that they'd like hear my story...and theirs. A compromise.
Not easy for one such as myself. All or nothing is more my speed. But this, this book, this year, this life is something new. Something wonderful.
And frightening.
Pray that I will have the courage to taste it slowly, to dig deep, scraping the sides, licking the spoon. Pray that I will stay still long enough for Him to heal it all.
Blessings,
Mary


5 comments:

Jaime said...

I've been away, and I've missed your blogs. They're simply beautiful.

My prayer and joy is with you,

Jaime

steph said...

Your silence, if you are called into it would be something special for you, but your voice here is wonderfully serendipitous!
Oh do stay in the healing space, and as you share the journey, you bless us. You are a woman of healing to us through your own healing.

lisa said...

I want to come to your house, Mary! I'll bring my crazies with me. Gwynnie and I dance around and sing, Tyler just sort of does a ladylike yet hip little boogie. And Jake just runs around in circles yelling at the top of his lungs.

Your words are beautiful, just like you.

bobbie said...

oh mary, i don't want your monastic silence - i love your voice. i know if you need it you need it woman, but i for one would miss it gravely!

oh, and if lisa's coming, can i tag along!?!?!? :) to meet you both would be an honor!

upwords said...

Hey everybody,

I did break my "monastic silence" for a few moments last night, but I deleted it as I was in a rare and foul mood. LOL I will, however, share the fiction I'd posted later today and something, God knows what.

Thanks for being here everybody, for bumping along with me on this road. I don't know where it's leading, but the sand tickles my toes.

And I like that.

Lisa,
Come on, girl! Bring 'em all. Just knock hard. Sometimes the music is too loud. :X Bobbie, you know you're welcome, just remember not to sit on the laundry baskets or step on any Legos. :)

Peace : Mary