Saturday, September 25, 2004

Wings of Morning

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall Thy hand lead me, and Thy right hand shall hold me. (Pslam 139: 9, 19, NKJV)
I love this verse. And after returning from a writer's conference in Denver last week, I really appreciated it more. I flew out the morning after hurricane Ivan blew in west of us. All the flights before and after me were cancelled. Every hub but Delta was dark.
"Is the flight still on time?"
A kind man grabbed my bag and sort of waved me along. "Yep. You coming?"
Sure. Of course. I mean it's not we were flying into the storm, right? We were going to Atlanta. And besides, like my husband so stoically informed me, they have to fly over the hurricanes to take those cool "eye of the storm" photos. So yeah, I'm coming, Queen of the Carry-On bag, hoping that me and the check-in stuff all arrives at the same place.
On the plane, the biggest, brightest looking young man sat next to me, all full of smiles and freckles. He looked like an ad for Young Life or the Future Christian Leaders of America if there is such a thing. He tucked all six-feet something of himself into the seat, looking confident and secure. I smiled, but trembled a little, realizing that I was actually going to the conference and what that might mean. For the past few days, I'd only concentrated on whether or not the planes were flying and if I still had a seat. Now, none of it seemed too important and there was still my hair to untwist and my afro to create so I did the noble thing and went to sleep...
I guess that was a good idea, that nap, but when I woke up to the plane being dribbled through the sky like basketball, sleep was no longer an option. Mr. Future President looked smaller all of the sudden as he leaned toward me.
"You're praying, right?"
I nodded, wondering how he knew. (Perhaps if I was sitting next to a big, black woman with a Bible the size of Texas, I'd be hoping she was praying too) As we skittered around the sky like a flea instead of a jumbo jet, I sat in awe of God's power, that His breath alone could sweep the heavens clean. There was a tornado below us, they said and a hurricane under that. Everyone looked down, but no one dared speak.
Everyone but me.
I looked up, out. We passed a cloud that looked like a giant hand with fingers curled around the plane's wings. We bounced again, harder this time. I closed my eyes, knowing that regardless, He was there. Here.
As we landed, I woke up, just in time for my next flight. We all shuffled off, thanking the pilot and crew for their diligent flying. Some paused in the walkway to take a deep breath, others ran to their loved ones and clung tight. I moved slow at first and then picked up speed as I felt a shout forming in my belly, a praise shooting up my throat. He'd been with me again, even on the wings of the morning.

4 comments:

bobbie said...

glad you're home safe! watching that cloud and still seeing him there would be a powerful thing indeed!

Jaime said...

Mary,

I can only sit here and praise God not only for giving you such an amazing gift of writing, but that you use it for His glory. Simply beautiful.

So glad you're safe!

Jaime

Paula said...

Mary!

Found you by accident on Lisa's blog tonight, before I'd gotten around to looking you up from your card. Amazing blog, girlfriend. Meeting you in Denver was the perfect ending to the conference. If felt like a miracle. I thought later that it must have been a little weird for you to see this big, white girl flying into your arms and bursting into tears just because we shared a friend I've never even seen. :o)I hope you were serious about you and Claudia and me sharing a room in Nashville!

The twin post was amazing, Mary. Wow. Double wow.

You stay in touch, girlfriend. I'll be following your blog and blessed by your words. You bring such glory to God with those words He gives you.

upwords said...

Thanks everybody for the comments on this one. Very weird. I hadn't realized that I felt that way about that birth, but a moment in a movie exploded the memory.

Paula,
Great to "see" you again. :) I was serious about sharing a room, Lord willing that I get there. Hopefully Claudia and I won't scream you out of the room with our laughing and crying. LOL

Blessings:mary